Helping children reach their maximum potential.
IMPACT’s physical therapy program specializes in helping children reach their maximum potential to function independently through promoting active participation in their home, community, classroom, and areas of play. Our physical therapists use their expertise to assess a child’s ability to take part in important physical interactions with the world around them and are highly trained in activities to improve motor skills such as rolling, crawling, walking, running, playing games, and participation in sports.
In addition, our physical therapists work to ensure successful and safe navigation of various environments for children who rely on mobility aids such as wheelchairs, orthotics, and other supports. The physical therapy team incorporates many skilled intervention approaches, including stretching, positioning, soft tissue mobilization, strengthening, balance and coordination activities, gait and cardiopulmonary endurance training to enhance a child’s capabilities and prevent skeletal deformities or muscular contracture.
How can physical therapy help?
Physical therapy through IMPACT provides evaluation, intervention, and consultation in the following areas:
- Gross motor development
- Motor Learning
- Tone management
- Balance and coordination
- Pre-gait and gait training
- Movement and mobility
- Safety Training
- Adaptation of daily care activities and routines
- Neuromuscular function
- Cardiopulmonary endurance
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Environmental adaptations/seating and positioning
- Wheelchair positioning and mobility
What should you expect during the evaluation process?
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the appointment time to complete the New Patient Paperwork
- At least one parent must attend the therapist’s evaluation with their child
- The therapist will discuss assessment outcomes and recommendations with the parent
- Once the evaluation is complete, the report, or Plan of Care, will be sent to the child’s primary care provider for signature
- Once IMPACT Therapy receives the signed Plan of Care, it will be sent to insurance for authorization
- Following authorization for the recommended therapy, the patient will be placed in a permanent weekly therapy time slot or on the waitlist